Monday, November 12, 2018

Colour of oak leaves in the fall?

Photo by BarrytheBirder
took the photo above of an oak tree on Warren Road in King City this past weekend.   I thought the leaves of Red and White Oak trees turned red, purple or brown in the fall, so the colour of the leaves pictured above puzzled me a bit.   The leaves are attractive but why are they yellow?   The internet says herbicides, iron deficiency, parasite attacks and Oak Wilt Disease could be causes.  As pretty as yellow oak leaves may look, it's usually bad news eventually.
Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea that there was a Warren Road in King. What a great street it must be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barry, again and again I learn something new from you. Thank you and I hope that maple tree's disease will not spread. Maybe it just needs some iron supplement.

    ReplyDelete