Monday, September 23, 2019

More photos from James Bay coast...



Pictured at right is one of my neices, April Dawn Georgekish Gull.   She is the daughter of my youngest sister Denise, a one-time King City resident.  Denise now lives in Wemindji, a Cree indian village on the east shore of James Bay, close to April and her husband and kids.
   
April has become quite the local photographer in her village and I have been publishing a few of them in this blogspace off-and-on recently.

Below are a few more recent photographs by April that Give a colourful glimpse of northern Quebec berry plants.


Pictured above and below are two photos by April of cloudberries.   Cloudberries (Rubus chamaemorus) are an herb native to cool temperate regions, such as tundra, alpine and boreal forest.   The amber-coloured fruit is similar to raspberry and blackberry, and are considered a delicacy in Norway, Finland and Russia.







Following are some comments from April that accompanied the photos above: "Made myself busy this beautiful dewy morning.   Cleaned the yard, re-soiled the huge tree beside my house because little critters were exposing the roots of it.   Had a breakfast fully on berries I picked in the backyard.   I couldn't believe I found cloudberries too.   My berry breakfast ... so refreshing.  Always a pleasure watching the leaves change colour."

Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace

1 comment: