"This ole house once knew his children
This ole house once knew his wife
This ole house was home and comfort
As they fought the storms of life
This ole house once rang with laughter
This ole house heard many shouts
Now he trembles in the darkness
When the lightnin' walks about"
"This Ole House", Stuart Hamblen, 1954
Photos by Barry Wallace
The 1885 Charles Hambly house at the north-west corner of the King Road and Highway 27, in Nobleton, may be the finest example of Victorian house architecture in all of King Township. To be more precise, the style is actually 'Victorian Italianate' and this wonderful landmark is the grand centrepiece of the village. Who knows how many more generations it will charm? Others of its ilk are well-preserved here and there in King's villages and farmlands. Sadly however, others are doomed. Pictured below are two examples, near Nobleton, of Victorian or Edwardian farmhouses that once proudly proclaimed their style and craftsmanship, but now now stand mute, abandoned and locked up. The one immediately below is north of the new Nobleton water tower on the west side of Hwy. 27, while the one at bottom is north-east of the village centre on the north side of the 15th Sideroad. The future of these grand old homes seems dubious, but one can always hope that a guardian angel will intercede.
Please comment if you wish.