Saturday, February 7, 2015

Five Snowy Owls in the Holland Marsh

Photo by Barry Wallace
Pictured above is a female Snowy Owl sitting atop a post in the Holland Marsh on Thursday of this week.   My King City neighbour, Jerry Binsfeld, and I spotted five of these wonderful birds in the Marsh, on both sides of Highway 400.   There were four females and one male.   We also spotted a number of Red-tailed Hawks, a Rough-legged Hawk, and a couple of Coopers Hawks.   We also saw several Common Redpolls along the banks of the canal feeding on weed seeds.   There may have been a Hoary Redpoll among them but neither of us was prepared to say for sure.   The weather was cold but the birding was hot.
Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace 

3 comments:

  1. Something about owls I really like, not sure whether they are wise but,sure are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these birds so stately, lovely photo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a farmer in the Marsh and these guys routinely visit my fields in February every year.

    ReplyDelete