Thursday, February 5, 2015

Langdon's Coach Lines bus

Photo - Toronto Public Library
Did you ride on this Langdon's bus?
By pure coincidence, I came across this online photo of an old Langdon's Coach Lines bus that served King City between 1948 and 1954, just two weeks after Alan O'Brien, of King City, a former partner in Langdon's Coach Lines, passed away at the age of 85.   B. J. Langdon started his bus business and his two sons, John and Jim joined him in the company when they finished high school.   Jim Langdon was a friend and schoolmate of mine in the late 1950s and his older brother, John, was our school bus driver.   However, being Jim's buddy didn't keep me from being kicked off the bus by John Langdon, for rowdy behaviour.   The bus above (No. 11) is seen at the end of its days, at Dixie Auto Wreakers in Mississauga, in 1955.   Langdon's Coach Lines was eventually sold and today is part of First Student, the largest school bus company in North America.
Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace    


1 comment:

  1. I was doing a search for Al O'Brien and came across your post. Not only have I rode inside a Langdon's School bus, I've also driven them! Back in the 1970's and 80's, my mom was a driver and eventually worked full time as their school bus driving instructor.

    In about 1978, a movie called "Sam On The Buses" was created by the Ministry of Transportation and among other bus lines, featured Langdon's. I was in the move as well. I am the boy that blows air into a paper bag and then pops the bag to distract the driver (Al O'Brien is the driver I do believe).

    Later in the short film, the Director of the movie had me drive the bus.

    Later in my life, I would go on to get my "C" class licence and drove charters for Langdon's for a few years.

    ReplyDelete