Sunday, June 24, 2018

A sisterhood on the shores of James Bay

  Women of Wemindji
Pictured above (on the left) is my neice, April Dawn Georgekish Gull, posing with three of her friends from the Cree village of Wemindji, on the east side of James Bay, in Quebec.   Beside April Dawn is Irene Otter.   Beside Irene is Francine Moses and on her left is Nancy Danyluk.   My impression of these northern ladies is that they are soul-mates when it comes to their northern native sensibilities, plus the collective, very long hair sends a message of which I am yet to learn about.   The photo below shows my sister Denise Georgekish (on the right), her daughter April Dawn beside her and April's daughter Amberlane Gull.   I have tremendous respect for these women, particularly for their strength in withstanding those northern Quebec/James Bay winters.   


Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace

1 comment:

  1. Nice photos - Denise and I were classmates a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete