Tuesday, June 19, 2018

S.S. No. 2 Springhill Public School...


I happened across this photo (above) on the internet a few days ago and knew that I had not seen it before.   Originally, this was S.S. No.2 Springhill Public School, on the west side of Keele Street, at the north end of today's King City village.  It dates from 1873.   In 1951, the addition to the east facade (below) was added, long after the name had become King City Public School.   I attended my Grade 8 year here in the mid-fifties.   The name was changed to Doris M. Public School a few years later and in the late 1960s the School became the Presbyterian Church of King City.   The original schoolhouse and now church is 145 years old and would appear to be heading for the 200-year-mark in another 55 years.



Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace

1 comment:

  1. Miss Patton was my gr.1 teacher in the mid 50's. Her class room was the "new" addition. Miss Dennis & Mr. Bice were in the original class rooms . A short time later two other rooms were added onto the north end . Can you remember the names of any other teachers?
    The photos show that the bell tower was moved. I can't recall hearing it , though it probably did ring throughout the day. I do remember the rope to the bell was in the principals office - a room you did not want to visit.
    When I was in Miss Dennis's class she gave me a small wooden carving. She said it was made by my dad when he was a student of hers. His initials were carved in it ,unfortunately it got lost over the years.

    ReplyDelete