Wednesday, August 29, 2018

The Field farm pond ~ north of King City

Photos by Barry Wallace
PINK WATER LILIES
AND
 TOUCH-ME-NOTS
I was driving on Keele Street north of King City, this past Friday and spotted the lovely pink waterlilies (pictured above) in the roadside pond on the Field farm and just had to grab a photo of these wonderful flowers on the lily pads.   I also noticed nearby a few large bushes covered in small pinkish-mauve flowers that looked suspiciously to me like small orchids.   I took their picture also (see below).   When I got home I called Carol Field, a friend going back to high school days, and asked her if she knew the name of these lovely flowers.  Carol told me they were not wild orchids, but rather, that they were 'Touch-Me-Nots' or 'Wild Balsam'.   I went online and discovered they are officially called Impatiens grandulifera and are also known as Indian Touch-Me-Not, Himalayan Impatiens, Himalayan Balsam, Policeman's Helmet and Ornamental Jewelweed.   Thank you Carol. 



Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace

No comments:

Post a Comment