Wednesday, October 3, 2018

1959 Austin-Healy Sprite Mark I ~ at Hogan's

Photo by Barry Wallace


Once upon a time, I owned a Sprite
I spotted this completely restored 1959 Austin-Healy Sprite in front of Hogan's Inn last week, and just had to get a photo of it and chat briefly with the owner.   It caught my eye because 50 or so years ago, I owned a 1961 Austin-Healy Sprite for a few years and it was the most fun I ever had on four wheels!  After a few weeks of ownership I took my 'Bug-eye' Sprite for a long weekend ride up into the Haliburton area, with a buddy.   On my return to King City, I felt like I was the new Sterling Moss, but upon turning into the driveway at my mum and dad's house, discovered I was going too fast and shot over a rock garden, bordering the driveway and hit a small pine tree which caved-in the front of my beloved new sports car.   I had it repaired at Frank Unterlander's Keele Street garage in the centre of the village and had its red paint changed to a 'Labatt's Gold' colour.   The wheels were painted a chocolate brown.   Garish, by God, but I loved it.  Ahhh, the good old days.
Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace

     

2 comments: