Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Snowy Owl in the Holland Marsh...

 Photos by Barry Wallace
SNOWY OWL
(Nyctea scandiaca)
I came across this 1st-year female Snowy Owl on Holancin Road, about 1/2 km. north of Highway 9, in the Holland Marsh on Monday morning.   She was scanning about the snow-covered fields for mice, most likely.   She allowed me to get close enough that we were staring into each other each other's eyes.   Once she had had enough of me, she spread those long, narrow wings, and sailed off to another perch nearby.   Note the size of those talons (below).   I was left breathless as I always am in the presence of big owls or raptors.   It made my day.


Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely stunning Barry, beautiful pictures. I like you love the raptors.

    ReplyDelete