Sunday, March 1, 2015

Teston churches then and now



Teston is not in King Township, but is a few minutes south, on Jane Street in the City of Vaughan.   Oldtimers in King however will recall the close connections with families in and around Teston, going back in history.   A Teston landmark, close to the hearts of many folks in King, was the Teston United Church.   Teston United Church existed from 1896 to 1996.   Before that it was the Teston Methodist Church and before that it was the Hadwin Chapel, which began in 1811.   Sadly, Teston United Church was demolished in 2005 to make way for regional road widening.   Given the passage of time however, fate (or perhaps faith) brought an Islamic mosque and a Buddhist temple to Teston and are located but a stone's throw from the old Methodist church site.   The historical turn of events appears to be a case of the more things change, the more they stay the same.   Amen.

Baitu Islam Mosque ~ Ahmadiyya Muslim Community
Jane Street ~ just south of Teston Sideroad

Chua Cam Lo Vuong ~ Buddhist Community Temple
Teston Sideroad ~ between Jane and Keele Streets

Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace

No comments:

Post a Comment