Saturday, December 1, 2018

Not Camera on King ~ but Camera on Weminji

Photo by April Dawn Gull
It could be a photograph from King, but it's not.   It is a shot from the village of Wemindji, on the east shore of James Bay, in Quebec.   The frosty, blue-looking picture was taken by my sister Denise's daughter, April Dawn Gull, of what looks to me to be spruce and tamarack trees.  Wemindji is a Cree Indian village, which is very pleasant in the summer, but can get awfully darned cold in winter.  That's because Wemindji is 1,470 kms. almost straight north of King City.   One had to fly into the village with Air Creebec a few years ago, but there is now a highway the entire way.  Average, non-stop driving time is 17 hours and 13 minutes!  No, I have not driven there...yet.   This winter doesn't begin for another three weeks but my sister and her family have had a head-start on winter.  Right now they have a ton of snow and temperatures in the past week or so got down to -15C daytime / -24C nightime.   My neice, April Dawn, also posted an online photo (see below) of my sister "Denny" when she was Prom Queen at King City Secondary School in the late 1960s.   I'd never seen this photo before.   Gosh, she was pretty!   Her date at the prom was Nick Cappal.



Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace

No comments:

Post a Comment