Thursday, April 16, 2020

My Hop-hornbeam walking stick...

                                Photo By Barry Wallace
Pictured above is the top end of my walking/hiking stick, which came from a small dead Hop-hornbeam Tree (a.k.a. Ironwood Tree) many years ago, at Cold Creek Conservation Area, west of Nobleton.   That ganglion at the top end of the stick is what was left of the root ball after I whittled it down.   It's a stout walking stick because Ironwood is very dense and hard when dried.  The stick has lasted me for years and I use it a lot more now that I'm a 'long-in-the-tooth' stumble-bum out in the woods.   The photo below shows me and my stick at Pine Farms Orchard, many years ago, being greeted by the old 'Pine Farms' beagle, whose name I think was Daisy. 


Photo by Pieter Thoenes
Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace

5 comments:

  1. That is really cool Barry!

    I remember when I was a kid my Dad telling me that Ironwood trees were very dense and not to try and cut them down with a chainsaw. I thought he was pulling my leg at the time "Iron"wood

    PS the Beagle is kissing the Reagle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm imagining the feel when holding the ironwood stick/cane. I believe it has powerful energy. It most likely feels good holding it and I imagine it makes walking even more fun, as somehow I believe it will connect you even more with nature. How do you feel when you are holding it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way that picture of you and Daisy is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi zz. This walking stick is my all-time favourite. When I'm using it, there's a feeling coming from the ground, up the ironwood, into me. It's visceral and pleasant.
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is how I was imagining it and I'm glad it is giving you that energy.

      Delete