Sunday, May 2, 2021

Do you know what this wildflower is called???

 

Photo by Barry Wallace
Mystery wildflower?
Do you know what this Ontario wildflower is called dear reader?   I spotted it at the side of King's 7th Concession, just south of Love Mountain, on the King Ridge.   I was driving slowly and seeing tens of thousands of dandelions, when suddenly the flower above caught my eye situated in a patch of greenery, all by itself.   I thought at first is was a solitary dandelion plant, but stopped to check it out.   I'd never seen a wildflower like this before, with its lovely yellow, spear-head petals, with white tips.  The individual flowers were the size of large dandelion flowerheads.   I checked my Ontario Wildflower guidebook when I got home, but did not find this little beauty.   I'd very much appreciate any comments about this attractive little wildflower.
Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace

2 comments:

  1. Hi Barry I googled and found it. It is a kind of a tulip called tulip dasytemon tarda
    https://www.dutchgrown.com/products/tulip-dasystemon-tarda?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvr6EBhDOARIsAPpqUPHnrFIHFe9gTtzeb79Jbf1LgkREhP5xNrwyNE4bFoJTiS1Dv6JjUZAaAu-dEALw_wcB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks zz. Great identification. I thought it might be a wildflower, but it looks like a cultivated plant.
    Kind regards, Barry

    ReplyDelete