Saturday, September 24, 2016

Dahlia and Vlita




Dahlia
on the 
left


Vlita
 on the
right



Photos
by
Barry
Wallace



















Dahlia flower (above)                           Vlita seed pods (right)


We've all heard of dahlias, right?   But how many of us have heard of vlita?   I noticed the dark red dahlias in front of my house are the same colour as the vlita plants in front of my neighbour George' s house.   George gave me the low-down on vlita and then I went to Google.   Vlita is an herb, also known as amaranth, and in Greece, George's country of origion, it is one of the greens known in Greek cooking which are boiled and served with lemon and olive oil.   It is also found under other names in parts of Africa, India, the Maldives, Jamaica and Australia. In Greece, this summer green is boiled for salads, but is also cooked into pies and vegetable stews, especially with zucchini.   It is also known as a very good substitute for spinach.   I have not tasted vlita yet but I am a huge fan of the spectacular red seed pods, seen in the photos above.   You learn something new every day.
Please comment if you wish.  
Barry Wallace









1 comment: